Fair Italy! Thou art the garden of the world, the home Of all Art yields, and Nature can decree; Even in thy desert, what is like to thee?

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Time to Read

We are headed to Venice for the weekend on a train (yay, I love trains) so I went to the English bookstore today to search out some new reads.

Sadly, no new Michael Cunningham or Great House by Nicole Strauss - but I managed to come away with a lovely little collection.

Purchased:

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
I couldn't resist, even though I don't like his other books.


Engleby by Sebastian Faulks
I was looking for Birdsong, but they didn't have a copy.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris
I adore everything by David Sedaris. It is just laugh out loud catharsis.


Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Because I am working through the Times 100 best books list.


Last time I purchased:

Carmelo by Sandra Cisneros
If you like delightful, narrative crazy family romps this book is a treat.


The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
A beautiful and well loved story of an English butler post- WWII.

The Witch of Portabello by Paulo Coelho
Not my favorite Coelho, but his writing will make you remember why you love to read.

I am trying to avoid:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Which my lovely friend Renee lent me, but for solidarity purposes I am trying to keep shelved.


Recommendations are welcome, reader friends!


4 comments:

  1. I am reading Cutting for Stone for book club - so far, I am really enjoying it! Miss you around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome. Have you read Unbearable Lightness of Being- I finished Milan Kundera's more recent book, Immortality this week. Great. I want to read the Chipmunk book. Reminds me of KT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Lamb by Christopher Moore?

    DO IT.

    I will SEND it to you if you can't find it.

    It's THAT good.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remains of the Day? You are a stronger woman than I. YAWN!

    ReplyDelete